Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Family Day 2009

Sunday was FAMILY DAY! January 11th 2008 was the day that Emma arrived in Ohio! Adoption families usually celebrate the day their child was made a permanent part of their family and sometimes call this "Gotcha Day". I thought about having a Gotcha day but then I struggled with what day to make. Emma was placed in my arms forever on Dec 17th (my 7 year anniversary). That was the day that I knew I would I never have to leave her behind again--it was real---it was over---Emma was ours forever. My entire family was together and we were a family on Dec 24th when Rob, Jay and Dad arrived in Guatemala City to celebrate the holidays with Drew, Mom and I---so that could be our Gotcha day too. But I decided I wanted our celebration day to not just about Emma but about our entire family. I wanted the boys to have a fun special day too....not just another "Emma focused" day. Being a counselor, I know how important it is to make them each feel a part of special days. So we decided to use the day we arrived in the airport. Our family was waiting to meet Emma and we were a family home--safe and sound and so very thankful!

Another thing lots of Guatemalan adoption families do is make authentic Guatemalan food for special days---like "Gotcha day", "referral day", birthdays. I wish I was a cook....I am so not. I am usually so very busy and it we can get hamburger helper, or something off the grill, we are doing so well! (Don't panic my Mom and Dad cook a lot for us!)I decided Toro Loco was the best option for our family day dinner. Emma LOVES cookies--look at our Christmas morning post--and the boys do too. So we bought a HUGE cookie from the mall to start our new family day tradition. One day when Emma is older and wants to help me, I will try Guatemalan cooking! Who knows one day you might click on here to see something authentic!

My favorite pictures from Emma's first family day:









3 comments:

Monica said...

wonderful!!! :)

Mary Ann said...

Happy 1st Family Day Emma! You are a precious little girl!

Susie said...

What a great idea Amy, I love the Family Day! And your idea of cooking is the same as me. I am all about decorating for the party, but either someone else is bringing the food or were catering it in!