What an important day today is for our country. I was a Obama supporter from the very beginning. I just think our country was in such desperate need for a change and he is so inspiring for so many people. Where we live in Southern Ohio there is very little diversity. I do see a few African American children in my practice and was so excited for them....what this day means for all those children who will be able to walk down the hallways at their schools and see a president who looks like them. We have waited a long time for this! I am so happy to see all the people there to embrace something different. His message was profound and spoke to all of us regardless! I do believe in him and am excited to see how he will shape and change our country.
I took the boys to see him when he came to Shawnee State in October. Everyone thought I was crazy to take them....there were many people who were there for hours. I had been working in Cincinnati and didn't get home until after 7:00. He was scheduled to be there at 8:00. I asked the boys if they wanted to go to Rob's store and wave to him in his bus. Of course Jay did---Drew didn't like Obama...he wanted to see John McCain...but didn't want to be left behind so decided to come with us. Rob said I was nuts...there were too many people and it would be hard to get around in Portsmouth as many of the roads were closed. I didn't care...we went. When we got to Portsmouth we were still ahead of him as he was coming from an engagement in Cincinnati and was really late. I asked the boys if they wanted to go to where we was speaking to hear him. They said "it is like a party?" I said yes...Drew asked if we would see John McCain and I said I doubt it...but they were both a go. We walked almost a mile from where we had to park in the dark to get to the green area where thousands of people had arrived hours before us. Could we see much? No...but was it amazing to be there...to help my boys experience history. Just the chance that he was going to get nominated and could possibly be the president...it was worth it for me to fight the masses of people for the boys to be there. For them to one day say they saw our 44th President...these are the experiences I strive to give my children. I want them to be active and involved and educated to be the best they can be. Who knows what seeing President Obama will mean for them...but they were there and they they were part of his historical movement and for that I am so proud.
Rob and I are leaving for Cancun tomorrow for Rob's business trip---this is one of the only benefits of a tire store---having great tires not always so cool but going to great places for "meeting" is awesome. I would have loved to been in Washington. Rob laughs and says he was glad we already had plans or I would have probably been dragging my family to Washington this week...he is probably right. My Mom and Dad always say they never know where I will take them...I think they are right. I think it is important to be a part of something and to be moving and acting and involved. I hope this is something I instill in all my children---activist with purpose.
I wish President Obama all the best. He is going to have so much to do...but if he says true to his words and thoughts and ideas...I do believe we will be moving toward something better.
Here are few pictures from this Portsmouth speaking engagement.
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
Today---January 20th--what a day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)








No comments:
Post a Comment